About Conservation Colorado
Our mission is to protect Colorado’s environment and quality of life by mobilizing people and electing conservation-minded policymakers.
Protecting our environment means preserving what we love about Colorado. Our stunning mountains, open vistas, and rushing rivers inspire us and connect us to the majesty of nature. Unfortunately, our amazing state faces grave threats. Powerful interests are constantly pushing to put pollution and profit over public health. We are at the front lines of every fight working to protect the air, land, water, and people across our state.
For over 50 years, we’ve worked with communities statewide to ensure that our quality of life and our environment are protected. We work to elect pro-conservation leaders to public office and then hold our decision makers accountable to move Colorado forward in protecting our environment.
Forged from the history and accomplishments of the Colorado Environmental Coalition and Colorado Conservation Voters, Conservation Colorado is the next chapter in protecting Colorado’s natural heritage.
We have a long and successful history in Colorado of collaborating on key environmental issues, working collectively at the State Capitol, and establishing strategic partnerships to find success on a variety of levels, including:
- Ensuring that more than three million acres of wilderness will stay forever wild.
- Setting a statewide renewable energy standard, then increasing it to 30% and making it one of the strongest in the nation.
- Working to minimize impacts from oil and gas drilling by updating public health, drinking water and wildlife protections in 2008 and continuing to push for further reforms.
- Passing more than 130 different conservation bills at the state legislature in the past six years on a host of environmental issues ranging from water efficiency to air quality to energy efficiency to transit.
- Electing pro-conservation candidates and holding our elected officials accountable in the State Legislature, Governor’s Office, and local government councils and commissions.
As we recognize our past accomplishments, we move forward, knowing that The Future is Worth the Fight. Our logo represents our priority issues – addressing climate change, transitioning to a clean energy future, protecting our rivers and outdoor heritage, and saving our few remaining public wildlands. These pressing priorities inspire us to engage Colorado citizens and policy makers in new ways to preserve the Colorado we love today for future generations.